"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I Need To Pray More

I don’t pray enough.  People and circumstances come across my thought life numerous times a day, and each time I brush those thoughts aside to be dealt with later.  In my experience, these thoughts have been promptings from the Holy Spirit, telling me to stop and pray. 

But I don’t.

I should pray for and with my children.  Big Sister needs a gentle heart, Little Sister needs self-control, Big Brother needs to be successful in some way, Little Brother needs to feel needed, and Baby Brother needs to be more independent.  I should pray for them and their needs every time they come to mind.

I should pray for and with my wife.  She needs time and patience for the children; it isn’t easy to homeschool 3 children and care for a preschooler and a toddler all day, every day.  She needs to feel loved by me (I haven’t been very good at that lately).  She needs time for herself to collect her thoughts.  I should pray for her every day, several times a day. 

I (we) should pray for us as a couple – husband and wife.  We need daily time together to discuss our day.  We need time to discuss our plans for the future.  We need to find some way to grow together as a couple, and continue growing in the Lord.  I (we) should pray every day.

I should pray for our family finances.  How will we make ends meet when everything increases except my income?  How will we afford a reliable car so I can drive to work?  How will we heat the house this winter? I should ask God for guidance and wisdom.

I should pray for my friends.  Some of them are sick.  Some are having other problems.  One needs help around the house.  One just needs to chat.  Many of them don’t know Jesus.  I should ask for opportunities to help and talk.
 
I should pray for myself.  I need to deal better with the daily pressures of life.  I need to find productive ways to deal with disappointment and frustration.  I need more sleep.  I need to love my wife and family more.  I need to find time in the day to plan meals, mow the lawn, fix the fence, clean the garage, organize the basement, finish the unfinished rooms, rewire the bathroom, attend baseball games, play Old Maid, exercise, etc.  I need to stop thinking about things that can’t be and concentrate on things that are.  I should pray for a loving heart, pure thoughts and  gentle words.  

I have a long list of “shoulds.”   I need to shorten the list, with  a lot of prayer.




1 comment: