"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Thursday, June 2, 2011

On Obedience ....

Along my particular journey, the Holy Spirit has become an important part of my life. He tugs on my shirt and my heartstrings, making me do and say unusual things, seemingly for no reason. I have learned to listen and (mostly) heed His gentle (and not-so gentle) nudges. I still have a long way to go.

But what happens when He leads you in a difficult direction?  You know, somewhere you've never been before?  What if you have to open yourself up and (*gasp*) show your true self?  What happens when you are told to do something that makes everyone around you uncomfortable?

What if you say “yes,” to Him, and open your heart to others and are faced with mistrust, criticism, shame, and failure? What if others seem to go along with you, then suddenly throw your spiritual walk back in your face, humiliating you and accusing you of evil thoughts, or foolishness, or worse? What if you are so convicted by the Spirit, so sure of your path, and yet so rejected by others that you have trouble sleeping?

What if you are so exhausted from trying that you turn your back, completely abandoning the idea, praying, crying out to God, that He might take away your desire in this area?

What if, after pleading with Him to take away your desires, He says “no.?” What if He wants you to press forward anyway?   

What if you disobey His “no?”  What if you abandon His instructions to press on? 

Why does God do stuff like that? I don’t know. I do know that He has His reasons.  He must.  Meanwhile, I must stop what I’m doing, take a giant step back to where I was in the first place, deal with reality, and continue to pray … and pray … and pray.

*********************************

As husbands, we must always search for guidance as the leaders in our homes.  When we feel led by the Spirit to lead our marriages in a certain direction, we mus strive to listen to (and heed) the Holy Spirit.

But first, we should ask ourselves some very important questions to determine whether our motives are pure:
  1. Do I have a selfish rationale ( is it solely for my pleasure or convenience), or am I truly seeking god's will for our marriage?
  2. Will my bride grow closer to God as a result of my decision?
  3. Will it improve my marriage?  
  4. Will my wife and I ultimately grow closer (more intimate) as a result?

After much prayer and study, if I still feel led in a certain direction, I must then take steps to lead my wife in that direction, and in so doing, remain obedient to God.  Will it be uncomfortable?  Maybe, but obedience is often uncomfortable.

So, listen to the Spirit, husbands, and be led in the direction God has laid out for your marriage.


Rom 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment