"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Monday, January 9, 2012

The Measure of a Husband ...

This is truly a useless snippet of information, but it was interesting enough that I thought I'd write it down and share.

I was in the supermarket after work today.  I had a short list of things to purchase, as I do every day.  The cashier was a familiar person - a woman in her mid to late twenties who is often tending the checkout line where I patiently wait.  She has two children, that much I know from seeing her around town with her two little girls in tow. Also, she is a single mom, that much I know from her conversations with me and my children (my kids aren't shy when it comes to asking about someone's kids or husband).

Anyway, as my groceries were proceeding down the conveyor belt, we enjoyed some charming banter.  Nothing wonderful, just the normal sort of thing that is said between a cashier and any regular customer.

"No kids today?"
"Nope.  They're still at home ... waiting for this food."
"Mine are with my mom today, but their dad is getting them tomorrow."


Then she said something that stunned me momentarily.  She said, "You know, I remember one day when you were in here four times.  Then you came back again for BROWNIE MIX!    I don't know any other man who would come all the way back here for brownie mix.  You must really love your wife."

Then she said something about the measure of a good husband being his willingness to go the extra mile for his wife, and that she planned to use it as a standard when looking for a husband sometime in the (near, I presume) future.

Really?  The "husband-worthiness" of a man comes down to whether he will go to the store for brownie mix??  I always thought it involved so much more.  Hmmmmm ....

Gee whiz, if I knew it was that simple,  I would go shopping every day!

Wait a minute!  I do go shopping every day!


(See?  I told you it was a useless snippet of information.)

...Later!

2 comments:

  1. simple things...when the hubby brings me home a route 44 diet coke with diet cherry from sonic i am so incredibly happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always is the simple things, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete