"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Am I That Man?

I was reading a blog today (shocking, I know).  It isn't the usual christian blog, nor does it contain the sort of stuff about which I would normally comment, but it is intelligently written and great fun to read, so I meander over there every few days for some thought-provoking entertainment.

Anyway, this guy more often than not uses his blog to describe in a humorous way the frustrations of being a husband and father.  Each time I read his work I find myself chuckling as he captures every husband and father in his words.

Today was different.  Today he recorded a word-for-word argument between himself and his wife.  Whether or not the argument was based in fact, I do not know.

But I remember the part that struck me silent.  In the heat of the battle, he asked his wife this question:
"Would you want your sons to bring home a woman like you?"

The question hit me right between the eyes.  I had to think long and hard.  What if I were asked that question?

Would I want my daughters to bring home a man like me?

Holy Cow!!

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Let's analyze me for a moment, shall we?

  • Does my life point to Jesus?
  • Do I love my wife as Christ loved the church?  
  • Am I willing to lay my life down for her?
  • Do I lead my wife and children spiritually, helping them to grow in their walk with the Lord?
  • Do I spend enough time praying for (and with) my family?
  • How much of my energy is focused on growing closer to my wife?  Am I developing intimacy in our marriage or am I creating distance?  Do I give her what she needs and desires?  Do I express my desires to her?  Do I bare my soul to her?
These are the qualities I want my children to see when they look at me.  This is the kind of husband I want to be.  It's the kind of man I want my sons to be.  It's the kind of man I want my daughters to bring home.

Am I that man?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Husbands everywhere should ask themselves this question.  Would your daughters be happy with a husband who does what you do (or doesn't do what you don't do)?  Would they be satisfied with someone who behaves they way you do? 

Wives - Would your sons be happy with a wife who does what you do (or doesn't do what you don't do)?  Would they be satisfied with someone who behaves they way you do?

I don't know about you, but I have to do a TON of thinking and praying ... and changing.

...Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment