"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Friday, June 15, 2012

"Good Eye"

One of the great joys of my life is watching my kid play little league baseball.  When our oldest boy is on the plate with his bat poised just above his shoulder, his eye on the ball, his feet spread apart, legs bent slightly at the knees, it brings a smile to my face.  When the pitch comes across the plate and straight into the catcher's mitt, and my son can see that the pitch is too high to hit, the coach utters the same words most coaches yell in such a moment:

"Good eye!!" 

I was thinking about this and how it relates to marriage, and in particular, my role as a husband.

Do I have a good eye?  Am I able to see the ball as it's being pitched to my marriage and determine whether we should swing or wait?  What if the pitch is good and we don't swing?  Maybe we should just bunt at a few ... that way we can take on the pitch more gently, in a noncommittal way.

It's a lot to think about.

Can I see trouble on the horizon?  When something is coming toward my family, am I able to discern whether it's a good thing or a bad thing?  Am I able to swing at the good pitches and stand still against the bad ones? 

It seems to me that a good leader (and that IS what a husband should be) must  be able to see trouble coming and avoid it.  Likewise, a good leader should dive into good opportunities for his marriage.  He should steer his marriage in the direction God wants it to go. 

Spiritually
Intellectually
Physically
Emotionally

Examine yourself.  Study your bride.  Learn about your weaknesses and strengths as individuals and as a couple.  Are there temptations that either or both of you can't resist?  Are there things that would keep you away from those temptations?  Is there something you have to do or learn in order to avoid (or help your wife avoid) that temptation?  Are there skills that need sharpening for the good of your marriage? 

Then don't put it off any longer.  Learn. Do. Pay attention.  You and your wife will be better off as a result of your "good eye."

No comments:

Post a Comment