"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Can This Lousy Husband Change?

I haven't posted in a while.  Truthfully, I'm in a bit of a funk.  I'm having an issue with laziness and leadership, and how the two go together, or don't. 

Every Bible scholar, every husband blog, every "expert," every commentary I read gives me the indication that I am a fairly lousy husband. 

What makes me think this?

I don't always fulfill my role as explained by Scripture.


Ephesians 5:25 says,
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her







I don't always "give myself up" for her, at least not in ways that speak love to her (my bride's love language is "acts of service").  I am not an excellent fix-it guy, so the "honey-do" list of unaccomplished tasks has grown quite long this summer.  Why? 

  1. I'm basically lazy.  I freely admit that physical labor doesn't appeal to me.  
  2. I feel inadequate and ill-prepared to do many of the things on "the list."  Add to that the fact that most of my attempts to fix stuff end in dismal failure (outlets, kitchen drawers, bunk beds, just to name a few).  
  3. I have significant physical pain when I push myself too hard for too long.

So, I serve in other ways such as cooking meals, running errands, yard work (mowing, trimming, etc).  But is serving in this way showing her the love that she needs? 

Well ... no.

So, what should I do?

The obvious answer is, I should start working on the to-do list.  

But, what if I'm not talented in the areas required to do these things?  Then I need to find someone to help me, or find a way to earn extra money and hire someone to do the work that I can't do. 

I realize my prime time for working on things has passed, but I can still accomplish what I can until the list is complete (uh ... does that ever really happen?).  This way I can love my wife the way she need me to love her.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a garage to organize.

2 comments:

  1. This seems like the "flip-side" to my post over at Messy Marriage, Thomas. I love that you're being so honest here and your desire to please your wife is clearly evident in this post. I love the way you're trying to be proactive in an area that is a challenge for you. I'm cheering you on, my friend! Thanks for this inspiring and thought-provoking post! Love having it represented over at my place. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I truly have a lot of work to do to be a good husband. I've been blessed by the Lord with a wonderful wife and family, and it is my prayer to continue leaning on Him for help.

      Delete