"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Monday, October 1, 2012

A Husband Is ... 1/2 Marathon Blog Challenge - Day 1

I have accepted the challenge to participate in the 12 Marathon Blog Challenge by the Christian Marriage Bloggers Association.  I have to admit I didn't know what to write for thirteen days straight.  Then the Lord gave me an opportunity to watch a group of inspiring young men.  My son's scout troop.

My son joined the Boy Scouts of America a few weeks ago.  Ah, what great memories came flooding back to me as I sat watching him participate in his first meeting.  The Pledge of Allegiance, the Scout Oath, the Boy Scout Salute, and of course the Scout Law.

A scout is:
Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean, and
Reverent.

As I listened to these boys reciting the twelve points of the Scout Law, I was struck with the realization that these words are not only a vow to be a good scout, but also a vow to become a good man.  After all, wasn't scouting founded on the principles of manhood? Doesn't it exist to train boys to become responsible adults?  Good citizens?  Good fathers and husbands?

In fact, these characteristics are the mark of a good husband.  As a Christian husband, I could be (and should be) applying each of the above points to my family, my marriage, and my life.  I should be more disciplined about my life and how I conduct myself both in public and in private.  I should live my life as though I were the one reciting the Boy Scout Law.

Husbands, I would like to challenge you to do the same.  Join me every day from today until October 13th, as we explore each of these twelve points and make them part of our own lives and marriages.  We'll take a look at what the Bible says about each trait and how we can apply it every day to become better husbands. Will you take the challenge with me?

A husband is:
Trustworthy,
Loyal,
Helpful,
Friendly,
Courteous,
Kind,
Obedient,
Cheerful,
Thrifty,
Brave,
Clean, and
Reverent.
   


             

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'll share your blog with my husband:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the creativity of your idea! My husband does a great job with those characteristics, but maybe I'll pass it on to him anyway. :)

    Elizabeth@Warrior Wives
    www.thewarriorwives.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Can't wait to read each day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I love how my husband strives to walk these characteristics in his humility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just shared this with my husband.

    http://lovingwhenithurts.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-shift.html

    ReplyDelete