"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Sunday, October 7, 2012

A Husband Is Courteous: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 6

The Christian Marriage Bloggers Association has challenged bloggers to publish a new post every day for thirteen days. This is day 6 of the challenge. If you missed the previous posts in this series, follow the links at the end of this post.

Continuing my theme of the Boy Scout Law applied to Christian husbands, today is:

A Husband Is Courteous


So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. (Matthew 7:12)

This verse tells me that I must treat others the way I want to be treated.  It's the golden rule. It's found in many places in the Bible, in one form or another.  It's also found in society, in our schools, our families, churches, municipal ordinances, state and federal laws.  The "golden rule" of courteousness is so pervasive throughout our lives, it must be somewhat important, don't you think?

I find it's generally best to be polite in most situations.  I say most situations, because if I'm honest I will acknowledge the necessity to be rude in extreme circumstances.  For example, it is okay to be rude in a bona fide bullying situation.  Most people I know wouldn't argue with that.

But I digress.

I Corinthians 13:5 reminds me that love isn't rude.  As a husband I must bear that in mind and always be polite to my wife.  When I married her I made a vow to love her, and the passage from 1 Corinthians provides God's definition of love.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned,[a] but have not love, I gain nothing.
 
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[b] it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.

13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. 

(1 Corinthians 13, ESV)
 How should I show courteousness (politeness) to my wife?

  • Say please and thank you.
  • Keep nothing from her.  No secrets.
  • Hold the door open for her.
  • Before you go somewhere, ask if she needs anything.
  • If you're getting a drink, ask if she wants one too.
  • Don't spend an hour in the shower.
  • Say "excuse me."
 These are all things I learned when I was a child.  It isn't rocket science.

When I am consistently courteous toward my wife, our marriage is oh, so much better.  It is worth it to live this way.  Also, it's biblical, so we should all heed the advice given in the passage above.  As always, God speaks the truth through His Word.

****************
Check out the other posts in this series:

A Husband Is ... 1/2 Marathon Blog Challenge - Day 1

A Husband Is Trustworthy: CMBA Blog Challenge, Day 2

A Husband Is Loyal: CMBA Blog Challenge, Day 3

A Husband Is Helpful: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 4

A Husband Is Friendly: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 5


  



 

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Amen! That's great! Courtesy just goes so much farther than rudeness or thoughtlessness. To love means to take care with--don't want to hurt the ones we love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does. Love is all of those things in 1 Cor. To love my wife means to follow all of those guidelines.

    ReplyDelete