"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Husband Is Loyal: CMBA Blog Challenge, Day 3


The Christian Marriage Bloggers Association has challenged bloggers to publish a new post every day for thirteen days.  This is day 3 of the challenge. 


A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.(Proverbs 18:24)
As a husband I am charged with representing Jesus Christ to my wife and children.  I am His representative in my marriage.  Jesus will never forsake those people who love Him.  He loved them and remained loyal to them until the end. 

In Joshua 1:5 God tells Joshua that He will never leave him nor forsake him.  NEVER.  That is loyalty.

 If I am to love my wife as Christ loved the church, then I, too, must remain loyal to the end.

In reality, what would that look like?  Two things come to mind.

  1. I support my wife and stand by her, even when I think she is wrong.  Please don't misunderstand, I do let her know (gently ... usually) when I believe she is wrong, but I stand by her no matter what.  She is my wife, the one God entrusted to me.  Why would I ever place my loyalty somewhere else?
  2. I choose her above all others.  That means that when my wife needs me, I'm there.  I do not get caught up in other things that take me away from her when she needs me.  I make sure I'm a husband first and a father and friend farther down the list.  When the kids try to pit us against each other, the kids lose. 
Loyalty is the stuff of strong marriages.  You and me against the world, know what I mean?  As a husband I need to be as loyal to my wife as Jesus is to me.  She deserves no less than the best.  After all she's a daughter of the King.


1 comment: