"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Monday, October 8, 2012

A Husband Is Obedient: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 8


The Christian Marriage Bloggers Association has challenged bloggers to publish a new post every day for thirteen days. This is day 8 of the challenge. If you missed the previous posts in this series, follow the links at the end of this post.

Continuing my theme of the Boy Scout Law applied to Christian husbands, today is:


A Husband Is Obedient

"My food," Jesus said to them, "is to obey the will of the one who sent me and to finish the work he gave me to do." (John 4:34)

Jesus is my Savior and Lord.  I want to be like Him, to model my life after His example, and to live His commands in my daily life.

As a husband, I need to obey God first and foremost.  I believe He gives every husband a vision for his marriage and his family, then places him in a position of headship in the family.

Some men lead their families into missions, some stay put and brighten their own neighborhoods.  Some are more reserved than others, some are more physically strong.  Some are bent toward manual labor, while others are more artistic, and still others are logical or scientific.

What I'm trying to say is that all Christian husbands are created different, and each receives instruction from the Lord through prayer, through listening to His voice, and through heeding His call.  What that looks like depends on who the husband is.

Many women marry a men whom they expect to treat them the same way their fathers did.  They expect that their husbands will do what their fathers did and will like the same things their fathers liked.  They expect a younger version of dear old Dad.

Often what she gets is a surprise package.  Many times she gets someone who will not obey her.  He won't even obey her father (GASP)!!

But isn't it the husband's duty to make his wife happy?

Ummm ... how do I put this nicely?

No.

It's the husband's duty to obey God and love his wife as Christ loved the church.

Okay, soooo ... how did Christ love the church?  Did He always do what he could to make her happy?

Ummm ... nope.  Many times He said and did things that shocked the church.  He instructed them in the way He knew was the correct path.  He taught the church difficult lessons that they did not like.  Yet all the while He took his instructions directly from God the Father.

Did he love the church?  Of course He did.  He gave His life for it.

Was the church always happy? Of course not.

What can we take away from this?

First, I must obey God and heed His instructions.  I must pay attention to the proddings of the Holy Spirit in my life.

Secondly, I must lead my wife and family in the direction I feel I'm being led.  My wife may or may not be happy.  She might go along with my leadership, or she may dig in her heels and resist my leadership.  regardless of her reaction, I must be obedient.

Finally, I must remember to live with my wife in an understanding manner (1 Peter 3:7).  when she is not happy with my decisions, I must be understanding of her feelings.  I must let her express her opinions and consider what she says.  In the end I must look at her opinions and advice through the lens of the Holy Spirit living within me, and I still must obey.

That is obedience. 

****************
Check out the other posts in this series:

A Husband Is ... 1/2 Marathon Blog Challenge - Day 1

A Husband Is Trustworthy: CMBA Blog Challenge, Day 2

A Husband Is Loyal: CMBA Blog Challenge, Day 3

A Husband Is Helpful: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 4

A Husband Is Friendly: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 5

A Husband Is Courteous: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 6 

A Husband Is Kind: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 7



No comments:

Post a Comment