"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Husband Is Reverent: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 13


The Christian Marriage Bloggers Association has challenged bloggers to publish a new post every day for thirteen days. This is the 13th and final day of the challenge. If you missed the previous posts in this series, follow the links at the end of this post.

Continuing my theme of the Boy Scout Law applied to Christian husbands, today is:



A Husband Is Reverent

Confession time.  Sometimes I need to be reminded to show more reverence.  Sometimes I do inappropriate things at inappropriate times.  Sometimes I'm downright irreverent.  

As a husband and father (and God-appointed spiritual leader), I need to work on the reverence thing.  I have to show appropriate respect to God at all times.

This means that I have to:

  • Guard my language.  The easiest way to be irreverent is to let bad language fly from my mouth. 
  • Attend church.  Don't try to get out of it, being a poor example for my family.  
  • Establish a more active prayer life.  Pray for and with my wife and family.  Instill in my children the right way to pray.  
  • Be vigil about my personal devotional time (as well as our couple devotional time).  By spending a set time with the Lord each day, I place my day in His hands.  I have more focus.
 Sometimes I don't get a gold star for being reverent.  Sometimes I get a giant raspberry.  The fact is that when I fall I need to get back up again, ask for forgiveness, and press on.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was a reverent husband.  Every day of my life is a better day than the previous one, and I continue to learn and study and pray every day. 

This husband is reverent.  Well, at least I'm working on it.



****************
Check out the other posts in this series:

A Husband Is ... 1/2 Marathon Blog Challenge - Day 1

A Husband Is Trustworthy: CMBA Blog Challenge, Day 2

A Husband Is Loyal: CMBA Blog Challenge, Day 3

A Husband Is Helpful: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 4

A Husband Is Friendly: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 5

A Husband Is Courteous: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 6 

A Husband Is Kind: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 7

A Husband Is Obedient: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 8  


A Husband Is Cheerful: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 9

A Husband Is Thrifty: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 10

A Husband Is Brave: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 11

A Husband Is Clean: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 12

4 comments:

  1. That's a good list. Those are areas I struggle with as well, always trying to be a good spiritual leader for my family. We have come a long ways, but there is still far to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I struggle with the temptation to open my mouth inappropriately. When I do that, it's usually just to get a laugh. But at whose expense? I'm with you - there is still far to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also struggle sometimes, but I can definitely see fruit being borne by my efforts... I realized last year that church and especially our small group study were always the highlights of my week! I pray often, by myself and with my kids. My goal is to start praying more with my wife as well. I pray for her lots, with her not enough.

    Language is often my biggest struggle. I continue to work - as must we all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is an area where a lot of husbands struggle. All we can do is learn from our past mistakes and continue on, trying to improve as we go.

    ReplyDelete