"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Husband Is Thrifty: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 10


The Christian Marriage Bloggers Association has challenged bloggers to publish a new post every day for thirteen days. This is day 10 of the challenge. If you missed the previous posts in this series, follow the links at the end of this post.

Continuing my theme of the Boy Scout Law applied to Christian husbands, today is:



A Husband IsThrifty
thrift·y
careful with money and resources: managing money and resources in a cautious and sensible way so as to waste as little as possible

"No" is a word I don't like to say, especially to my wife.  When she asks me if we can afford to purchase something, I cringe whenever I have to say "no."  But in many cases that is the correct answer.

You see, my wife and I are raising 5 children on a single public school teacher salary.  We don't have many extras and we definitely don't have much extra cash, except for the odd birthday money or the annual income tax refund.  So you can imagine that I find myself cringing a lot.

How do we do it?  How do we manage to scrape by on a single income when we live in the state with the highest per capita taxes in the country?  Thrift.

We simply don't spend more than we make.  Now, that might sound simple, but let me tell you there are seasons of the year when our budget crashes in a HUGE way.  That's when the husband (me) and Dad (also me) begins saying "no."

It isn't that we waste money other times, but there is a phenomenon known as summer, when many activities are planned and no money is coming in (FYI - All teachers do not get paid during the summer as you might think).  Here's what I do:

  • Recycle - those 5-cent cans and bottles can add up to a couple trips to our favorite ice cream joint.
  • Walk - When I go to the store for bread or milk, I hoof it.  It's healthier, and it saves gas.
  • Weekly menu planning - Of course, the menu isn't always followed to the letter, but at least we don't waste our resources due to poor planning.
  • Thrift stores are great for family clothes shopping.  Also, there is a charity shop a few blocks from our house.  Sometimes they have "dollar bag" sales.  
  • Libraries now have pretty good DVD collections.  They're free, and you get to keep them longer than rentals.
  • Repairs are at least attempted in-house before any professional is called.
These are just a few of the things I do to be a thrifty husband.  What do you do?


****************
Check out the other posts in this series:

A Husband Is ... 1/2 Marathon Blog Challenge - Day 1

A Husband Is Trustworthy: CMBA Blog Challenge, Day 2

A Husband Is Loyal: CMBA Blog Challenge, Day 3

A Husband Is Helpful: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 4

A Husband Is Friendly: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 5

A Husband Is Courteous: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 6 

A Husband Is Kind: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 7

A Husband Is Obedient: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 8 

A Husband Is Cheerful: CMBA Blog Challenge Day 9

No comments:

Post a Comment