"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Work Heartily!

Some men work hard and some hardly work. Some fall squarely in the middle, neither working hard nor being slothful. I've been spending time in Colossians lately and found the following passage repeating itself over and over in my mind. 

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. (Colossians 3:23-24)
Why am I stuck on these familiar verses? 

Maybe it's because they motivate me to do better in my job and my marriage. Or maybe they make me feel guilty because I don't do a good job with either. Maybe a little of both.

Hmmmm ...

Let's examine it one piece at a time.

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men
Paul is saying that we should do everything as though we are doing it for God, not for people. If we look at it in context, we see that he is actually addressing with regard to serving their masters. However, the same holds true for everyone doing any kind of work.

As a husband, I must serve my bride as though I am working for the Lord, because He is precisely Who I am serving. All the work I do here on earth is to be done for His glory. When I work around the house, I am being obedient to God, even though I'm just fixing something, cleaning something, or making dinner.

knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward.
I may not be rewarded for my work while I am still living on this earth, but I will receive an amazing inheritance when I leave this world and enter into glory. If I remember what God did for me and the sacrifices He made for me, I am willing and eager to do my best work for Him.

Sometimes I struggle with knowing the stuff I do day in and day out may not be noticed by those I serve here on earth. When my wife and family seem unappreciative of the effort I put in working to pay bills, preparing meals, and dealing with those ever-present emergency fixes, I have the potential for feeling like I deserve some sort of praise for my hard work, when in fact I haven't worked nearly hard enough.

You see, I'm a bit on the lazy side, especially when it comes to physical labor. There is a list of unfinished project around the house that make me weak just thinking about them. In my heart and mind know I should be doing a lor more around the house - things that will bless my wife in a way that she understands.

You are serving the Lord Christ.
In all things, I must remember that I serve Jesus Christ. When I do things for my wife, I'm serving Jesus. When I go to work, when I come home and cook dinner, when I fix the vacuum cleaner for the fiftieth time, when I mow the lawn shovel the snow, everything I do. I am serving the Lord.

As a husband it's easy to feel tired and want to kick back and relax, especially when it's been a rough day at work. But with God's help, I can keep going and keep working for Him, for my wife, and for my family.





No comments:

Post a Comment