"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Saturday, April 6, 2013

My Body Is A Temple

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

I'm sorry to say that I have not treated my body this way.  Over the past 5 or so years I have become fat and lazy.  I have eaten things that are bad for me, not thinking about the consequences.  I have sat in a chair with the phone in one hand and the netbook in the other.

Now here I sit, 70 pounds overweight, with two kidney stones, one of which could have killed me.  

Nice temple, eh?

Is this a good way to treat a temple of the Holy Spirit?  

Is this how a husband should conduct himself?

1 Corinthians 7:4 says "The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife." 

While I realize the context of this verse specifically addresses sex, I'm looking at a broader topic.  That is, by becoming a couch potato, overeating, and being generally lazy, I have given my bride a piece of junk instead of the best specimen I could give her.  After all, I do not have authority over my own body.  I should keep it in shape for it's proprietor.
  
In light of this, what's a fat man to do?

Repent.  
To repent mean to turn away from sin and make amends for the wrong you've done.  I sure have done wrong to this body of mine.  It's time to turn things around.  

" I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish." (Luke 13:3)

Eat right and exercise.
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)

When I take a big handful of chips, or an extra cookie or piece of cake, am I glorifying God?  When there's a little coffee left in the pot and I empty it into my cup "because I don't want to waste it," Am I glorifying God?

No.  I need to change these habits fast or end up miserable.

Pray.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 tells us to "pray continually."  We are supposed to have an ongoing conversation with God all the time, like He's actually next to us. Because He is. 

So, when I feel like being lazy, I can ask the Lord to help me do my work.  When I'm tempted by the last doughnut, I can ask God to help me stay away from it.

Get support.
Back in 2006 I got into shape by using an online diet and exercise program.  It worked very well and I would have kept going if it weren't for a flood that destroyed almost everything we owned.  Even after the flood, I could and should have gotten back on the program, but I didn't.  Laziness overshadowed ambition and I sat in my chair drinking coffee and eating Twinkies (actually, I don't care for Twinkies, but you get the idea).

I need accountability.

 I need to do this for my Lord, for my bride, for my children, for myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment