"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;"
Eph 5:25

Friday, September 20, 2013

What Is a Husband?

Image Courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net
Eighteen years ago on a cold evening in March I watch the most beautiful woman I had ever seen walk down the aisle of our church to be joined as one with me in matrimony.  I became a husband that evening.

hus-band  n. 1. a man joined to a woman in marriage; a male spouse.


So that's it, right?  That's what a husband is. It seems pretty cut and dried until you get into the actual nitty gritty of being a husband after you become a husband.

The word "husband is a derivative of two Saxon words:
  •  hus = house or household
  • buend = farmer / cultivator 
By definition husbands are cultivators of a productive home.  My wife and family should, under my supervision, produce more christian families.  My crop (children) should produce seed corn (more families) that produce more of the same.

The question is, are my crops productive?  Will my family continue to flourish in the Kingdom if I continue doing what I'm doing, or do I need to use more fertilizer, water, or richer soil?  Perhaps I need to uproot all the crops and start again in a different field.

Question for the husbands:  How are your crops?  Are you cultivating a productive household for the Kingdom of God?
 



No comments:

Post a Comment